You´re passionate about Windsurfing open minded and love working with other people? You are rather outside on the beach than inside an office and flexibility is one of your great strengths?
Well than, becoming a Windsurfing Instructor might just be the right thing for you! Joining one of our Windsurfing Instructor courses will be your chance to turn your passion for Windsurfing into a profession! If you´re in doubt if your knowledge and riding level is sufficient, take a minute and test yourself.
Test your Knowledge
Is your basic theoretical knowledge sufficient to join an ITC?
Test your Windsurfing
Are your riding skills sufficient to pass the exam?
- Safe windsurfing on long board at 4-5 bft and the examination maneuvers. Candidates who are not sure can register for a practice training taking place before the proper course. No teaching background is required. However, the candidate should be familiar with the VDWS instructor file theory.
- To complete the VDWS Windsurf Instructor Level 1 licence:
- complete Instructor course
- pass practical exam
- pass teaching exam
- VDWS Membership
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Movement instructions and keywords, movement descriptions, movement tasks
- Instructor's behaviour, mistake analysis and correction
- Techniques of rig- and board control
- Movement learning
- Introduction into course planning and design
- Example of a beginner course
- Watersport and environmental problems
- Meteorology, equipment, safety and health
- Windsurfing for kids, animation
- Job description watersport instructor
- Internship introduction
Duration: 8 days
Extra Costs: getting there, accomodation, equipment
The practical examination can take place at a wind speed of 8 up to 25 knots in any estuary (besides the zone of surf). The practical examination consists of 2 parts: skills of board control and demonstration of beginner techniques.
Skills of board control
Free choice of board. All five skills of board control are presented on a wind abeam course, the course is about 40 m long. Wavy lines - clew first - leeride - helicopter - fin first. Video
Demonstration of beginner techniques
The examination part "demonstration of beginner techniques" contains: board orientation, pulling up the sail, t-position, 180° turn towards bow and stern, getting started and surfing position, steering (heading up and bearing away), tacking and jibing.
During the demonstration lesson, the teaching ability in the field of beginner and advanced courses will be tested.
The written examination covers the theoretical, practical and methodical aspects of the training, it takes max 90 minutes
Once the examination passed and the internship successfully completed, the candidate can hold the title of "VDWS windsurfing instructor" and conduct examinations for the windsurfing basic licence.
Soma Bay, Egypt
Torbole, Lago di Garda
Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Ermelo, The Netherlands
Hulshorst, The Netherlands
Torbole, Lago di Garda
There are more then 540 watersportcenters in more then 35 countrys in the world. The VDWS consists of more then 4500 members, watersports instructors, school owners and center managers. Since the foundation in 1974 we were able to spread the fascination in windsurfing, kitesurfing, sailing and Stand up Paddling to more then 3 million watersports beginners!
Our headoffice team is happy to help you!
Call us under + 49 (0)881 - 9311-0
or send us an Email
We are looking forward to hear from you!
To successfully take part in the Level 1 Windsurf Instructor training we recommend you to deal with the theoretical and practical requirements of the course. That will help you to have a good time during your instructor training. Take a look at our windsurf tutorial series and test your knowledge.