You´re passionate about Stand up paddling open minded and love working with other people? You are rather outside on the beach than inside an office and flexibility is one of your great strengths?
Well than, becoming a SUP Instructor might just be the right thing for you! Joining one of our SUP Instructor courses will be your chance to turn your passion for Paddleboarding into a profession! If you´re in doubt if your knowledge and riding level is sufficient, take a minute and test yourself.
Test your Knowledge
Is your basic theoretical knowledge sufficient to join an ITC?
Test your Paddling
Are your paddling skills sufficient to pass the exam?
For the course:
- Safe paddling even in wind up to 16kn, all examination manoeuvres (e.g. one-sided paddling, crossbow turn and pivot turn) must be able to be paddled safely around a buoy (see practice video).
- Teaching experience is not necessary, but the theory from the VDWS e-learning system is.
For the license qualification:
- Completion of the instructor course
- Passing the practical and theoretical exams as well as teaching exam.
- VDWS Membership
- Passport photo
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Movement instructions and keywords, movement descriptions, movement tasks
- Instructor's behaviour, mistake analysis and correction
- Techniques of board control
- Movement learning
- Introduction into course planning and design
- Example of a beginner course
- VDWS SUP-System, Safety Check Card and Workbook
- Watersport and environmental problems
- Meteorology, equipment, safety and health
- Job description watersport instructor
Duration: 4 days
Price: 395 €
Extra Costs: travel expenses, accommodation, equipment
The practical exam consists of skills for safe handling of board and paddle. In a buoy course, paddling is done one way to and on way back between two buoys at a distance of 40 m. On the first leg, in Paddle Stance, paddling only one side with the C-stroke. On the way back, in Paddle Stance, the J-stroke is paddled on both sides. The first buoy is to be rounded with a crossbow turn, and the second buoy with a pivot turn. Here is the demo video.
Teaching ability in combination with specialised theoretical knowledge and real students.
The written exam with questions on theoretical, practical and methodical training lasts 30 minutes.
Bad Wiessee, Tegernsee
Bochum, Kemnader See
There are more then 540 watersportcenters in more then 35 countrys in the world. The VDWS consists of more then 4500 members, watersports instructors, school owners and center managers. Since the foundation in 1974 we were able to spread the fascination in windsurfing, kitesurfing, sailing and Stand up Paddling to more then 3 million watersports beginners!
Our headoffice team is happy to help you!
Call us under + 49 (0)881 - 9311-0
or send us an Email
We are looking forward to hear from you!
To successfully take part in the Level 1 SUP Instructor training we recommend you to deal with the theoretical and practical requirements of the course. That will help you to have a good time during your instructor training. Take a look at our SUP tutorial series and test your knowledge.
Here you can find external content from YouTube that complements the article and is recommended by the editorial team.
You can load the content by clicking on "Show content".
You thereby consent to the data transfer to the USA in accordance with Art. 49, section 1, letter a, GDPR in the knowledge of the risks described under "Data transfer to third countries outside the EU". More information on this is available in the section "Third-party services" of the Data Privacy Statement.